Some people may have received a little zap from a small appliance or outlet.  But, the electrical current running through our houses is strong enough to cause serious injuries including electric shocks and burns.  It can even cause fatal electrocutions!  The good news is electrical accidents can be avoided by following simple safety guidelines.

Electrical Safety at Home


  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician
  • Avoid overloading outlets
  • Plug major appliances directly in at wall outlets.  Never use an extension cord or power strip with a major appliance, space heater, or fan
  • Use only one heat-producing appliance plugged into an outlet at a time
  • Unplug small appliances when not in use to save energy and minimize the risk of shock or fire
  • Regularly inspect electrical cords and extension cords for damage
  • Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis
  • Never run cords under rugs / carpets, doors, or windows
  • Make sure cords do not become tripping hazards
  • Keep papers and other potential flammable items at least three feet away from lamps / light fixtures, light bulbs, space heaters, and other heat sources
  • Make sure you use proper wattage for lamps / lighting
  • Make sure your home has smoke alarms. Test them monthly, change batteries yearly, and replace the unit every 10 years

Call a qualified electrician or your landlord if you have:

  • Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
  • Discolored or warm wall outlets
  • A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
  • Flickering or dimming lights
  • Sparks from an outlet
Electrical Safety While Working From Home