City of San Marcos Arts and Cultural Funding
The 2021 Arts and Cultural Grant application period is now CLOSED
SPECIAL NOTE ON COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused havoc in the tourism industry and the cultural life of our community, forcing event cancellations throughout 2020 and general uncertainty in arts and cultural organizations looking forward. With this in mind, the City of San Marcos encourages Arts and Cultural Grant applicants to plan for contingencies in case their programs are awarded grant funds and are affected by COVID-19 next year. Applicants must also be prepared to return any unused funds as a result of event cancellation.
Awardees will receive a breakdown of their funding sources in their award letters to allow them to plan for contingencies in the projects.
Arts and cultural program grants
Grants are available for projects that promote or enhance the arts in San Marcos. Projects must also enhance tourism to our community.
Our vision for San Marcos is a city in which artistic excellence is celebrated, supported and available to all. The mission of the San Marcos Arts Commission is to promote tourism in San Marcos by enriching our city and its diverse cultural heritage by supporting works of artistic excellence, advancing arts education and strengthening the arts in the community while promoting local tourism and the convention industry. The appointed commission provides oversight for the expenditure of city Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT Tax) and general funds for the promotion of the arts.
Diversity program grants
Grants are also available for projects that may not have an impact on tourism, yet still promote and celebrate our City's diverse cultural heritage.
The Arts Commission has defined “Diversity Programs” as those that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Preserves, produces, or presents art forms and cultural activities specific to any ethnic culture.
- Expresses the experiences of historically under-served ethnic and other communities (which include, but are not limited to African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and the Gay/Lesbian Community).
- Celebrates San Marcos’ ethnic diversity and variety of cultural traditions.
- Connects diverse communities through educational or interactive activities.
Diversity program grant application process
- Review and complete the Guidelines and Application for Arts Funding.
- Complete the Diversity Programs Funding Questionnaire.
- Submit all applications online by Monday, Nov. 9 2020 at 2 p.m. CST .
Helpful tips before you start your application
Read and understand the 2021 Arts and Cultural Grants guidelines. This document will tell you the information you’ll need to have ready to fill out the online application.
Fill out a budget worksheet. Instructions for the budget worksheet are in the 2021 Arts and Cultural Grants Guidelines.
Create a profile on this website. Creating a profile allows you to save your progress as you fill out the application. Click on “Sign In” in the upper right corner of this web page, click the “Create Profile” button, and follow the instructions on the screen. Note: you’ll have to have a valid email address.
Oct. 5, 2020: Application period opens
Oct. 22: Virtual Arts Workshop – Navigating the Arts and Cultural Grant process. 5:30-6:30 p.m. via Zoom. Watch it online here.
Nov. 9 at 6 p.m. CST DEADLINE EXTENDED: Application period closes
Dec. 1 & 2: Arts Commission reviews applications. Discussion and presentation by applicants to be held via Zoom.
- Arts Commission Special Meeting – Grants Applicant Workshop – December 1, 2020 https://youtu.be/8CFFYysCHtY
Arts Commission Special Meeting – Grants Applicant Workshop – December 2, 2020 https://youtu.be/7ahBPwQnk4I
Dec. 16: Arts Commission awards grants during its regular meeting.
To view the meeting, please log on to
Dial toll free (888) 788-0099
Webinar ID: 886 5189 1510