SMTX Hometown Holiday Parade
The 2020 SMTX Hometown Holiday Parade is dedicated to promoting community engagement, holiday spirit, and shopping local in the great city of San Marcos.
The 2020 SMTX Hometown Holiday Shoebox Parade video will be released on Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 2pm on the SMTX Community Services Facebook page, Downtown San Marcos Facebook page, City of San Marcos YouTube channel and on the City's cable channels on Spectrum (Channel 10) and Grande Communications (Channel 123-16). Follow the SMTX Hometown Holiday Shoebox Parade event page on Facebook.
I-Spy Scavenger Hunt
There are 2 options to access the I-Spy Scavenger Hunt Gameboard:
1. Download it here. Complete it digitally or print it at home.
2. Pick up a copy from the brochure rack in front of the Parks & Rec Office located at 401 E. Hopkins between Thursday, November 19, 2020 and Wednesday, November 25, 2020.
After you watch the parade and complete the hunt, email a photo of your completed gameboard to Jennifer Mach by 9pm on November 29, 2020 for a chance to win a City of San Marcos prize pack. One adult and one youth winner will be randomly drawn.
Who Can Enter?
Individuals, children, families, businesses, civic organizations, and non-profits are all invited to participate.
How to Enter
- Decorate a shoebox with your chosen theme, following the rules and guidelines listed below.
- Complete the online entry form. There is no cost to participate. The written description will assist in creating the announcer’s script for the virtual parade. No late entries will be accepted.
- Entries may be dropped off at the following locations:
|San Marcos Chamber of Commerce||San Marcos Activity Center|
|202 N CM Allen Pkwy||501 E Hopkins|
|November 12-13||November 13, 6am-7pm, closed from 1pm-2pm|
|9am-5pm||November 14, 10am-5pm, closed from 1pm-2pm|
- The Parade Committee reserves the right to reject any entry and/or description that is not in good taste, inappropriate, or not in the best interest of the parade. Entries must be family-friendly.
- No political candidacy signs or images. Current offices held may be identified. No “vote for”, “elect”, or “support” signs allowed.
- If you want to keep your float entry, it must be picked up from the Chamber of Commerce December 1-3 between 9am – 5pm.
Shoebox Float Guidelines
- Grab a "shoebox" or something similarly inspiring - Start with a base like a small box from a recent online order delivery, an old shoe box, a small crate, a tub, or a container of choice no larger than 14”x 9”x 5” for the base. It doesn't have to roll. It just needs to be able to be “pulled” by string for the parade video.
- Find your materials - Entries can be made from things you already have at home. You could use flowers from your yard, craft supplies, construction paper, dolls/action figures, paper mache’, clay, paint, markers, sequins, seeds, or anything else you can find to bring your float to life! If you need a little help getting started the San Marcos Public Library will have "Shoebox Float" packets available for front porch pick-up or modified “open” hours beginning October 19, 2020. Click here for information on porch pick-up and modified hours.
- Descriptions will be used to create the parade commentary for the announcers.
- Inspiration can be found by viewing this link on Facebook and this link on YouTube.
Have questions? Email Jennifer Mach.