The City of San Marcos Urban Forester Kelly Eby is holding monthly ‘Friends of Trees’ events for the community to come together to care for trees and promote urban park tree health during the upcoming cooler months.
“An ongoing tree survey has already shown us that the City has over 5,000 trees on public property. City of San Marcos employees do a great job maintaining these spaces, considering the growing numbers of visitors,” said Eby. “But we want to save as many existing trees as we can from being ‘loved to death’ by park-goers and we could use a few extra hands.”
These events provide an opportunity for the community to learn about trees, to help provide beneficial forest cover in the city, and to encourage outdoor play in safe, shaded areas.
Tasks vary by site and include spreading mulch or compost, aerating soil, root collar excavation, pruning roots or limbs, removing non-native trees, or planting trees. Tools and instruction will be provided.
Participants are advised to wear closed-toed shoes and comfortable, yardwork-appropriate clothes. Hats, sunscreen and lots of extra water are suggested and encouraged.
- Sept. 13, 2019 from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at City Park, 170 Charles Austin Dr.
- Oct. 11, 2019 from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Plaza Park, 206 N CM Allen Pwky
- Nov. 8, 2019 from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Ramon Lucio Park, 601 S CM Allen
- Jan. 10, 2020 from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Ramon Lucio Park, 601 S CM Allen
- Feb. 14, 2020 from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Rio Vista Park, 555 Cheatham
To register for an event, visit https://bit.ly/2kb0UOr. For more information, contact Eby at firstname.lastname@example.org.